Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Co-hosting AND Pot-lucking Showers...what to do...

I've got two really special baby showers coming up, my cousin's having a fourth baby girl, and my new sister-in-law is having my brother's baby!! But, I have a couple of protocol dilemmas.

"Co-hosting" : First, I'm co-hosting with my grandmother and my mom. That means this shower is probably not going to happen my way, right?! I have to share control with THE TWO matriarchs of my family. And, how do we divide the responsibilities fairly? I KNEW I'd be in charge of games, and OF COURSE I'll bring Registry Bingo. I also LOVE an opportunity to be creative, so I did the invitations. My Grandma immediately offered to host the shower in her air-conditioned home with plenty of space, and my mom offered to provide the cake. Whew! Go, girls!
Then, due to widespread recession, we chose to make this September shower a potluck. After talking to Natalie, my cousin, she preferred only family members bring dishes to share. Well, shoot, how do I know what all her sisters-in-law will bring? And that makes my dish really instrumental. One of a few! What's a really charming AND filling lunch dish for guests?? Any suggestions? I'm still wavering between a  Macaroni and Cheese Casserole, or Costco Croissants and Cheeses for mini sandwiches...what do you suggest?
As a co-host, it's easy to forget key party parts, like drinks, plates, and flowers. While we each have less work, which is fabulous, we might miss something! So, I've found co-hosting to illicit many more phone calls between planners, but does lighten the load for the host!

Another shower quandary is when to host the shower for Monica and Geoffrey, my brother? Their little bundle of boy is due in February. Do we host the shower before or after Christmas? I had my gorgeous Danish son in February, too, and was thrown a bevy of showers in January. I was tired and swollen, and had lost all my pretty by that time, but they were nice in January...do we do the same for Monica? Let me know what you think?

No comments: