Monday, April 19, 2010

Where to Wed?

Ok, he popped the big question and you (crazily enough) said "YES"! Let the planning begin. For some folks, where to get married is easy: you both have tons of family and they all live within ~1hr our so! Well, what happens when the love of your life is from the opposite coast or your family is all over the place or you just want to getaway to some romantic and enchanting location for your nuptials. Where to wed is sometimes just not that simple. There are so many factors that could go into where you get married.

First and foremost I suppose is the practical question of how much do you want to spend $. That can start making some decisions fairly easy if you are on a tight budget or just want to save for the first down payment. If, on the other hand, you do have some $ to spend, your options start to open. The next question(s) may be, well, where is my family or this place has significance to us or I want a garden wedding, a mansion wedding, a beach wedding, a winter wonderland wedding, etc...

I have just one tip for you when you are considering all the options and that is: Do what will make you and your future hubby happy and look back upon your wedding and say, "that was amazing and I wouldn't change a thing!" I've seen so many people get wrapped up in the struggles of I really want a destination wedding on an island, but no one will be able to afford it! Yes, it's true, if you are set on Tahiti, then you may have fewer guest than if you were back in your home town, but the bottom line is. It's your wedding and you should make it about you and your hubby, not your 2nd cousin on your mom's side!

My hubby and I tied the knot in Newport, RI.  I am from RI, he is from CA.  We looked around for places to get married and fell in love with the The Ocean Cliff Hotel which is an amazing mansion in Newport, RI.  It could be considered a "destination" spot for some, luckily for me my family was close.  It was a bit outside of our price range, but then, the friendly sales representative at Ocean Cliff and now, my very good friend asked us if we were creative.  She suggested getting married on a Thursday which dramatically lowered the fees and minimums!!  Hey, isn't Thursday still considered "going out night".  We were able to have the place of our dreams and stay within our budget!!

What's your story, I'd love to hear it!

No comments: